The Residence of the President of Russia
This building was erected in 1932-34, designed by the architect Ivan Rerberg,for use as government offices. Its proportions and the style of the facade,as well as the building's colour scheme, are in tune with the classicalstyle of the nearby building of the former USSR Council of Ministers (theSenate Building).
This building also housed the Kremlin Theatre, which,with the most modern equipment and seating for 1200, opened in 1958 witha performance of a play featuring Lenin, "Bells of the Kremlin".In 1969-70, a team of architects led by Mikhail Posokhin again considerablyreconstructed the building. Now it is the Residence of the President ofRussia.
© State Museums of the Moscow Kremlin.
© 1996-1999. Cominfo Ltd. All rights reserved.